Power Thoughts





  • I was sustained by one piece of inestimable good fortune. I had for a friend a man of immense and patient wisdom and a gentle but unyielding fortitude. I think that if I was not destroyed at this time by the sense of hopelessness which these gigantic labors has awakened in me, it was largely because of the courage and patience of this man. I did not give in because he would not let me give in.
    --Thomas Wolfe 

  • I had always said to myself that forty was the cut off point of my apprenticeship which may for some people, sound like a very long one, but the novel as art is a middle-aged art. I was very frightened when I turned forty. I suddenly thought I ought to wake up and be speaking with the voice of God. I said that to my mother and she said, "you've been speaking with the voice of God since you could talk! Don't worry about it!"
    --Jane Rule

  • The concern that some women show at the absence of their husbands, does not arise from their not seeing them and being with them, but from their apprehension that their husbands are enjoying pleasures in which they do not participate, and which, from their being at a distance, they have not the power of interrupting.
     --Michel de Montaigne

  • Enduring habits I hate.... Yes, at the very bottom of my soul I feel grateful to all my misery and bouts of sickness and everything about me that is imperfect, because this sort of thing leaves me with a hundred backdoors through which I can escape from enduring habits.
    --Friedrich Nietzsche
     
  • That was rough.... Thing to do now is try and forget it.... I guess I don't quite mean that.  It's not a thing you can forget.  Maybe not even a thing you want to forget.... Life's like that sometimes... Now and then for no good reason a man can figure out, life will just haul off and knock him flat, slam him agin' the ground so hard it seems like all his insides is busted.  But it's not all like that.  A lot of it's mighty fine, and you can't afford to waste the good part frettin' about the bad.  That makes it all bad.... Sure, I know - sayin' it's one thing and feelin' it's another.  But I'll tell you a trick that's sometimes a big help.  When you start lookin' around for something good to take the place of the bad, as a general rule you can find it.
    --From the movie Old Yeller

  • The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
    --Thomas Paine







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Larranaga’s Unique Motivational Ideas

Program tidbits from Brad Stevens

A Few Of The World’s Biggest Losers