Here are some things to keep in mind when you need to reprimand a team member:
- Let the team member know that the behavior is undesirable, not the person.
- Let the person know that you care about him or her as a person, but that you expect more from them.
- Do not punish anyone who is unable to perform a task. Take action on those who are able to perform the task but are unwilling or unmotivated to succeed.
- A team member should be called on the carpet immediately after the undesirable behavior.
- Do not humiliate a person in front of others.
- Make sure that the person understands exactly what behavior led to the reprimand or punishment.
- Do not hold a grudge. When it is over…it is over! Move on!
Print Edition $24.99
Print & Download $31.99